Tuesday 26 January 2016

Freedom & Liberty: Gallery Visits and Inspiration

The two exhibitions from today which I think I really got a lot of strong influence from were Matteo Palmieri's Visions Of Paradise at the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square and Champagne Life at the Saatchi Gallery.

Palmieri studied the ancient writings of Aristotle, Plato and Cicero, which influenced his writing on the virtues of an ideal citizen. Palmieri commissioned Francesco Botticini to paint Assumption Of The Virgin, which reflects his own vision of Heaven that he described in his writings. It portrays a woman that is praying up at the sky where a congregation of people have gathered to look down on the land. It looks like she really wants to join these people and is ignoring the land that she's on. What I got out of this was that freedom and liberty is equal to death. Depressing, but it feels true in a way and could have some influence on my work.

I much preferred Champagne Life. A small exhibition, each piece is a black and white photo that has a cartoon character imposed over it. The characters contrast greatly to the scenery around them. Much of the photos portray middle class working people that are often lonely, and each caricature is very diverse in nature. It's as if they are all expressions of what the people in the photo are thinking, which tells me that freedom only exists in the imagination. While it made less of an impact on me like Visions Of Paradise did, it still feels like a legitimate concept and one that I can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment