Saturday 17 October 2015

Lens Based Media Project 1 - Shape & Form: Valley Park


My main location for gathering photos was Valley Park, Croydon. I'd been there before back in January for another photography project and I thought that it was a very scenic and vast place with a variety of architectural structures and other items on offer.








I still took photos on my journey there though, so some of these photos are from Streatham Hill where I live and Streatham High Road.













My camera is a Nikon Coolpix S8200. While it is very small compared to other popular models I still find that it has some very outstanding features, such as altering the saturation or hue to give photos a certain outlook.










I took a total of 108 photos from Streatham Hill to Valley Park, but my brief states that I must have 6 favourites. When taking each photo, I took into consideration the way that the photographers I'd looked at used the camera and made certain adjustments to their liking, so much of these are in monotone.








In photography, what I like is that I feel I can personify inanimate objects very easily. The photo above, for instance, is from a small factory in Valley Park which looked abandoned. Through both the window and door that says "No Entry", I feel like I can express feelings of abandonment and isolation through the effects that my camera has to offer.

I think what didn't work so well was attempting variety. As much as I tried following the influence of the photographers I had looked at, I still wanted each image to stand out in it's own way. I tried achieving this through both composition and colour, but all the same I felt like I couldn't give them a more unique edge. This is why I prefer drawing/illustration, because I have more control over the colours and therefore I can create more of a visually appealing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment